Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This week in my garden, a first peek

I'm finally able to get into my garden to do some weeding and spring cleanup... and there were lots of lovely plants blooming to make all the work more pleasant.  Thanks to Candy at The Little Round Table for being our garden walk hostess today via her new party, This Week in My Garden.

Here in southwestern Virginia,temperatures are mild, and we've had a lovely mix of rain and sun.  My very favorite peony,  Coral Charm,  had a number of blooms.  They start out a vibrant coral, fading to a soft rosy ivory in just a matter of  days.





I was delighted to see Red Charm opening up... this is the first time I've gotten to see it bloom! I'm so glad you could join me! (and yes, it really is a deep dark true red!)


 The Jackmanii clematis were also showing off a bit...

Even the chives make a pretty show... some 2nd year transplanted lupines are in the background.

This old rose hasn't shared her name with me, but she's going to put on quite a show when all those buds burst into bloom.






Bronze Fennel and varigated Solomon's Seal have filled in under the old treehouse and maple tree. All those greens and browns make for such a serene setting.





12 comments:

  1. Great shots, E! The peonies are stunning. I never really knew about the variety of colors. I look forward to seeing how your gardent grows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge peony fan, and of course I have both red and coral charm too.. do you find the coral charm is kind of smelly if you cut and bring it in to the house?

    I take the red charm peonies in to work and every year people stop dead in their tracks as they go by my desk, back up, and come over for a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Elaine!

    So pretty! Just love peonies, but they don't do well here .... they complain that it is sometimes too wet, too hot, not cold enough to sleep. Yours are just lovely. Thanks for joining the party!

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elaine, your new tablecloth inventory button is super! What a fabulous collection you have. Now we can gift you more easily and see the cloths we have in common for group 'scpaes! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peonies are one of my favs! So many beautiful layers and so romantic! your pics are so pretty! And my clematis vine just is starting to grow ~ so jealous of you southern girls!
    :)Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the color. Makes me want to do more in my yard. Keep the pics coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a peony that coral color. It is gorgeous! I planted two peonies in the fall and they are both going to bloom. Success! Nancy H

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! Visiting from This Week in my Garden party!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blog you got here! Stunning shots! Loved it.
    Hope to see you on my site:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coming over from Little Round Table's garden party to peek around! those peonies are beautiful! i host a garden party (on Thursday's) & would love to have you share at Cottage Flora Thursday's? xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi - I love that color of the peony- I've never seen it before! I hope it hasn't gotten too hot over there!

    ReplyDelete