Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Island of Misfit Dishes?

I woke up at 3:30 this morning. That's what I get for falling asleep yesterday instead of trying to stay up on a workoff day... lol.

I've accomplished a bit. I got some laundry done, tossed out some boxes, and am meeting my cousin Lisa at Gran's house to start cleaning out closets in the hopes that we can get her home from the rehab by the first of next month. My uncles have begun the process of choosing an in-home caregiver. We'll all pitch in, too. I guess we're pretty lucky that a decent number of us are within an easy commute of Gran's house.

Yesterday was a very nice dish day... My Secret Santa gift arrived from JimmieJames and I was sooooooo pleased. He'd taken the time to find me a vintage cloth, and chose a cobalt square baker, turquoise individual baker, and a sweet pair of dancers christmas ornament to go with it all. I've already started plotting which dishes to use with the cloth... Primary colors are red and blue, but theres enough green that I'm tempted to just use Medium Green dinnerware on it.

The mailman also brought a vintage demitasse pot with a repaired handle that I had purchased on ebay to use as a vase. The seller was wonderfully thorough in describing the damage.

I wonder if it's weird that I don't mind some damage? I kinda think it's like battle scars, and shows that someone used the piece. Seems like a lot of collectors want only mint condition pieces, and while I'm delighted to find those... I like the other pieces, too. The image that comes to mind is like that Island of Misfit Toys from the movie Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer .

Denise and I have been trying to meet for the last six weeks to exchange some Fiesta we've acquired for the other... the weather has NOT been cooperative. I think the dish gods are amused that I'm nervous about taking care of the vintage vases I bought at that auction for her, so they're tossing roadblocks in the path, so that I have to keep the vases longer.

3 comments:

  1. I have quite a few "very loved" pieces in my collection. Most are just very small chips or scratches that display perfectly. I think I have 2 pieces that have more than 1 chip or a big chip, but those are both mixing bowls. While I like mint pieces, I am not going out of my way to find only mint pieces. Also, the "very loved" pieces are much easier on my wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it's weird that I don't mind some damage? I kinda think it's like battle scars, and shows that someone used the piece. Seems like a lot of collectors want only mint condition pieces...

    I agree with you, Elaine. I have no problem with a chip here or a crack there...as long as it's reflected in the price. I'm a graduate of the "turn the damage toward the wall" school.

    Anyway, I find it unrealistic to expect perfection from dishes that are older than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This past Saturday's theme for PhotoHunt was chipped. My first pic was one of a chipped vintage turquoise fig 8 tray. That made me cry when I opened the package.

    Elaine, I've given you a blog award. Check it out when you get a chance.
    http://decolady-randommusings.blogspot.com/2009/01/blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete