Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lunch Dates and Beta Fish

Today was nice... went to weigh in and had lost 3 pounds this week. Yay me! I got a few house chores done just in time for one of the ER girls to pick me up for a periodic sanity-replenishing-girls-get-together. Today's was at M's house, which although is about 30 mins away is a really pretty drive, which makes the drive time kinda worthwhile. M's daughter is going to be a pampered chef rep, and wanted to try out some recipes on someone who wouldn't be too tough on her before she used them on unsuspecting paying customers... Gotta love being a guinea pig!

She chose a recipe called Jamaican Jerk chicken. Not one I would have tried on my own and I was astounded by how good it was! She also (get this!) made a strawberry devils food cake in a pampered chef bundt pan....IN the microwave! Again, not something I would have ever been likely to try, and it turned out just great. I think I'd probably edit the recipe and use seedless raspberry jam, but it was pretty impressive. Good thing I went to weigh in this morning.

We stopped at Pet Smart on the way home so that J could get some filters for her fish tank and a replacement beta for her daughter. Somehow, I came home with a beta and a new 1.5 gallon tank. I had never seen a truly orange beta... lots of reds, blues, greens and purples, but never orange with black... reminded me of my koi, so... I have an inside fish. No name for him yet, will need to work on that.

Julius

We also stopped at the hospital so that we could get our new badges made. We've gone to some sort of uber security system and had to replace our old badges. My new picture is an improvement on the old one. I never like those pictures anyhow... it's like DMV. I'm not sure a police officer would believe it's me.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen an orange betta. Can you make pics?

    When I was in graduate school I used to raise bettas. They were always so interesting. Abbey got one a few months ago and appropriated one of my art deco fish bowls (the one with the pottery cat looking into the glass bowl) for it to live in. Ever since I've been thinking I might get another betta. There are more fish bowls here that look like they need fish.

    Did you get the recipes for the chicken and the cake? I'd love to see them.

    ReplyDelete